Monday, December 08, 2008

The Obama-bashers don't give up easily

Having lost the election, the Obama-bashers haven't given up trying to prevent Barack Obama from becoming the President.

I have received an e-mail message, entitled "Update on Obama birth certificate law suits," from Human Events magazine, informing me that an organization known as the United States Justice Foundation is engaged in a legal battle "to compel Obama to produce a valid birth certificate that he is constitutionally eligible to be President of the United States."

The foundation, which was founded in 1979, describes itself as a "non-profit public interest, legal action organization that instructs, informs and educates the public on, and litigates significant legal issues confronting America."

The organization evidently doesn't believe that Obama was born in Hawaii. It argues that because Obama's father was born in Kenya when it was a British colony, somehow there is a question about the President-elect's legitimacy as a native-born American. The group has filed suit in California to push the issue and is helping to fund similar suits in Mississippi and other states.

In its e-mail message to me, Human Events notes that the U.S. Justice Foundation's campaign "does not necessarily reflect the editorial position" of the magazine. (Ideologically, the magazine can best be described as standing to the right of both the Bill Buckley-founded National Review and the Bill Kristol-edited Weekly Standard.)

So why does the magazine, which boasts such arch-conservative luminaries as Pat Buchanan and Ann Coulter as columnists, go to the trouble of sending me information about the foundation's absurd campaign?

"From time to time," the magazine's message explained, "we receive opportunities we believe you as a valued customer may want to know about." The "opportunity" is for me to contribute money to the U.S. Justice Foundation so that it can finance the effort to keep Obama out of the White House.

I am not a paid subscriber to the magazine, so I can not be accurately described as a "valued customer." I am uncertain how I wound up on its e-mail mailing list. But I'm not complaining. It is always interesting to keep up to date about the right-wing loonies' current crusades.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia K said...

Ah, loonies indeed! I was pleased to read this morning that the Justice Department will not pursue the issue. Ah well, we do need to be informed as to the US Justice Foundation's activities, don't we? When do they give up? or will they? Probably not! Thanks as always for a great post!

Monday, December 08, 2008 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Florence said...

Well good luck getting off their e-mail list. Somehow I got on a "patriot" list and try as I might I can't get off it. The best I've been able to do is have it go automatically to the spam folder.

Monday, December 08, 2008 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kay Dennison said...

Here's a link I found on this. End of story.

http://www.kitv.com/politics/17860890/detail.html?rss=hon&psp=news#

Monday, December 08, 2008 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

I put the birth certificate conspiratists in the same box as those who said there was a conspiracy of hanging chads and Supreme Court. So I guess it's another 8 years of this.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Interesting. I have received two far-right emails lately, and I think they are as a result of leaving comments at a couple of conservative blogs during the Presidential campaign. If I get another I'll pay attention to the source and let you know. I agree with you that it's a unique peak into the goings-on on that side.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:00:00 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I fully expect an ongoing concerted effort to keep Obama out of the White House. I sure wish all the energy, time and money expended in that effort would instead be focused on offering constructive solutions to solving the problems our nation faces no matter who would be President or which political party predominated in the legislature.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Flux Suggest - Find and Search Blogs
Web Traffic Statistics
Nokia.com Coupon