Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A breath of fresh air in Washington?

After six years of the Bush Administration's incompetent and corrupt regime, a breath of fresh air is breezing into Washington. No longer will a Republican White House, coupled with a Republican-controlled House of Representatives and Senate, get away over the next two years with the shenanigans that have crippled this country since 2001.

With the Democrats now clearly in control of the House, they should be able to rein in an Administration that has gotten us into an unnecessary war and then mismanaged it; botched the genuine war on terrorism; cut taxes for the super-rich while overlooking the middle class; burdened future generations with a gigantic Federal debt load; screwed working stiffs by clamping down on labor unions and refusing to raise the minimum wage; appointed pro-corporate political hacks to run the government's regulatory agencies; tolerated corruption in government; trampled on civil liberties; disregarded environmental problems; turned much of Federal law-making over to lobbyists; damaged our nation's international image and influence; and stifled much-needed scientific research.

Have I left anything out?

As I write this, the Democrats also seem to have squeaked by to gain control of the Senate, although a possible recount in Virginia may delay the official outcome. That would be icing on the cake, imposing stronger restraints on what historians will undoubtedly record as one of the worst Presidential administrations in U.S. history.

I've placed a question mark on the title of this essay. The reason: traditional Democratic liberals will find that many of their party's new Congressmen are more conservative than they are on so-called social "value" issues such as abortion rights, gun control, gay marriage, and separation of church and state. These newcomers were elected primarily because of voter disgust with the Iraq war and the Bush Administration's inept performance rather than ideology.

But the levers of power will be in the hands of the senior Democratic legislators who will chair the Congressional committees. Their success with a reform agenda will determine how much fresh air Washington will actually enjoy over the next two years.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ginnie said...

Per usual, you have said it all... I can't wait to see what will happen in the next two years...I pray that we can bring some breaks back for the poor middle class. I also pray that the Democrats will be tough but fair and I love the idea of getting women involved in the top jobs.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I agree with you 150%!!!! I hope and pray that the kind of abuses that have been going on for all these years will be stopped....ended, over, done!
I pray....because one never knows about anybody anymore!

Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm glad to see the Republicans on the way out, I wish there was more choice than a two-party system.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly the Bush team created this defeat.I am not sure what the Democrats will do.More labor unions,higher minimum wages,more social spending---mean that inflation will come back.Rates will continue to go up,the housing market will suffer more.I see a difficult economy coming,with no easy solutions.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Yes indeed, "How sweet it is"

And of course you know by now that Allen conceded and Webb is now the junior senator from Virginia.The Senate is now controlled by the Democrats.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:49:00 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Hi and thanks for your comment re: my blog about Wordwsorth. I think I am way too pragmatic to have much patience with poetry but certain lines haunt me. Pls tell your wife that I love the first few lines of "The Daffodils"..."I wandered lonely as a cloud, etc." and I'm happy that you shared my blog with her.
It has given me an idea for another blog about one of Frost's poems. Thanks,
Ginnie

Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing you left out is this dreadful thing they're calling "globalization". I do hope someone will be addressing that ~ not that I have much faith.

Peace,

Thailand Gal
~*~*~*

Saturday, November 11, 2006 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I don't think you left anything out, but I find it really hard to read that paragraph and be reminded of what damage was done to this country in such a few short years by this administration that is far from out of there.

I believe we have encouraging potential for changes that are needed, but I reserve judgement until I see some meaningful action.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 9:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have considered my self more Repulican than not over the last 25 years. I voted for Reagan, Bush and Bush. I have watched as the Democrats have attracted what I consider fringe elements and the Republicans attract their own fringe. I find both, equally scary.
I am ashamed that the Republican led National govenerment got so little accomplished, I am afraid of what a full Democratic controlled government might.
I am pleased that ANWAR may be safe now, and I pray that our leaders recognize the science behind global warming instead of doing the best imitation of ostriches this side of the equator.
I sincerely wish we could get rid of both parties, adopt a more Libertarian point of view, let government take care of things individuals cannot and let victimless acts be left alone or if desired, taxed.
I am weary of attempts to legislate morality, even though I do believe in a firm moral code, I just don't think that is the government's business.

Thank you again on your intelligent commentary, it is proof that while we may disagree or not, we can do so in a civilized manner, which I think, is at the heart of democracy, the right of dissent.

Thank you.

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kaizhv The best blog you have!

Friday, November 02, 2007 3:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

f1bPKV write more, thanks.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Flux Suggest - Find and Search Blogs
Web Traffic Statistics
Nokia.com Coupon