Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Re-elect Al Gore!

I'm signing up for the Draft Al Gore movement, and hope that the man who should have been our President since 2001 will enter the race. Unfortunately, this may be an exercise in futility, however, because Gore has yet to signal that he is willing to run.

Of the dozen Democrats and Republicans running in the primaries, Gore is by far the most qualified to be our next President. As someone fearful about the possible election of one of the unimpressive Republican candidates, I also feel that Gore is the most electable Democrat.

Although Sen. Hillary Clinton is by far the front-runner in the Democratic primary race, I am concerned that there is such deep-rooted hatred for her that she is unlikely to be elected President.

I cannot fathom why she provokes such emotional opposition. But I think the so-called Republican base would beat down the doors to vote against her, even though Rudy Guiliani, the party's current front-runner, might not be ideologically kosher. I believe she would also turn off much of the independent electorate.

Nevertheless, she would make a better President than any of the Republican candidates. Guiliani exaggerates his accomplishments as New York City's mayor. I wouldn't buy a used car from Mitt Romney. John McCain seems to have lost his marbles when he calls for more troops to fight in Iraq. The other Republicans in the primary races are mostly unknowns who have not shown that they rate serious consideration.

Barack Obama is an exceedingly impressive politician. But I think his background of political accomplishment is still too skimpy to for him to be President. Another one or two productive terms in the Senate might give him the proper credentials. Of course, we've been saddled with George Bush in the White House these past 6-1/2 years--a man who was far less qualified for the Presidency than Obama is now.

Look at the legacy Bush will leave behind: an unnecessary war; massive Federal debt; a foolish tax cut for the rich while bearing the war's massive costs; huge increases in Federal spending; unqualified political hacks running the regulatory agencies; the nation's loss of foreign respect; weakened military capabilities. Have I left anything out?

If Gore disappoints me by deciding not to run again, I plan to vote for John Edwards in the primaries. I feel that he is more electable than Clinton and Obama. More important, I believe he has the talent to correct the mess that Bush will bequeath the nation.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ian Curran said...

Amen, brother! My tickets are Gore-Obama, Gore-Richardson, Gore-Edwards, and Edwards-Obama. Anyone but Hillary. I want someone who is electable and who has real conviction and who can move the country in a progressive direction. Check out Gore's video clips on current.com at www.current.com/people/algore

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

Al Gore, whom I wouldn't vote for, should be your candidate instead of Hillary. Unfortunately, I think he is electable.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:27:00 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I haven't yet selected in my mind the presidential ticket I would want to support. I continue in the process of crossing candidates off my list and few are left. I do agree with many of the points you make here, Mort.

I'm definitely waiting for a statesperson to emerge from the cloak of politicalism. (Is there such a word? There should be.) Gore does seem more statesman-like than any we've seen in recent years, but he adamantly says he's not running.

Add to your Bush legacy list, weakening our constitution by creating a dangerous threat to the balance of power among the branches of our government.

As for Hillary Clinton, (whatever anyone may think of her qualifications,) contrary to some survey results saying her gender is not an issue, I believe there are still a significant number of voters (men and women)in this country who reject the idea of a woman in a position of power and who would not vote for her, solely for that reason. They will cloak their public reasons in other terms and be unwilling to acknowledge there reall reasons.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 8:31:00 PM  
Blogger storyteller said...

Gore-Obama would definitely get MY vote. America would be MUCH better off if Gore had taken office instead of Bush. When will we ever learn?

Friday, November 02, 2007 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mortart,

First, wonderful to hear your wife is doing better. As for this post, increasingly it seems Hilary has the nomination locked up, but I thought this blog post still worth commenting upon...

=============================

Barack Obama is an exceedingly impressive politician. But I think his background of political accomplishment is still too skimpy to for him to be President. Another one or two productive terms in the Senate might give him the proper credentials."

I respectfully disagree. Barack Obama knows how to maneuver on the fly, and respond contextually to any given situation. Moreover, he has the ability to inspire others in JFK or Reaganish manner (yes, even as a progressive I can resist the temptation to toss out the baby with the bath water...).

In short, I view Obama's inexperience as a politician as an ASSET. He has not yet had time to become jaded and clearly has the smarts and the political Goodwill to surprise even his strongest detractors.

All the same, if Al Gore were to run, he would have my vote in a heartbeat. On this we agree. My dream ticket would be "Gore / Obama"

As for Hilary, my greatest reservation is not her abilities, but a concern that her election would disturbingly echo elements of Orwell's 1984 on a subliminal symbolic level. Just replace countries with families - Bushes, Clintons and Bin Ladens -- each and all at war with one another...

Kindest Regards,
Raphie Frank

P.S. You can even already imagine the rallying cry "Gorabama!" It has a ring...

P.P.S. Not unrelated to my concerns regarding censorship, just do a search for

Google Key Words: Cornell Arxiv censorship

Can;t happen here? It's ALREADY happening!

Friday, November 23, 2007 7:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Flux Suggest - Find and Search Blogs
Web Traffic Statistics
Nokia.com Coupon