Thursday, December 01, 2011

November 8, 2011

It is with great sadness to report that my father passed away on November 8.
He was so brave and strong to the very end. His family will never forget his grace, dignity and integrity during these last two years as he struggled with the effects from his auto injury two years ago. Despite everything he went through, he managed to still retain a sense of humor.

Unfortunately he never regained the momentum and inspiration to return to his beloved blog after the accident. He was also quite ill and often too weak to think about writing – one of his many loves in life.

I want to sincerely thank everyone for their comments and friendship over the years. They meant the world to my father. It helped his spirit and ego so much.

Occasionally my father experienced brief moments of strength and inspiration, when we really thought that he might pull through everything he was going through. He had drafted the following - written in April 2011. This was his last small attempt at returning to his blog:

“After a 19-month absence, I am resuming publication of this blog. I want to thank the dozens of readers who kindly posted messages expressing concern about my absence and wishing me a successful recovery. Their compassionate words were as effective—and perhaps even more so—in my recovery than all the medical therapy that I was receiving.”

Below is a copy of my father’s obituary which was published in his beloved New York Times.
Mort’s daughter.

----------------------------------

Morton Reichek, a senior editor and senior writer for Business Week Magazine, died
November 8, 2011. He lived in Florida and was 87 years old. During his retirement, Reichek became one of the most prolific and well read "elderly bloggers," writing about politics, his childhood, Israel, and his war experiences. His blog www.octogenarian.blogspot was highlighted in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and AARP magazine.

A journalist with very wide interests, Reichek wrote about topics ranging from business to military affairs to Yiddish literature. He was with Business Week, both in Washington, DC and New York for 31 years, retiring in 1988. Prior to joining the magazine in 1952, he was a press officer and editor for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. During two periods of absence from Business Week, he was a Washington correspondent for the Newhouse newspaper chain, an associate editor of Forbes Magazine and director of editorial services for Gulf & Western Industries, Inc.
Reichek contributed articles to the New York Times, The New York Times Book Review, The New Republic, The New Leader, and the Columbia Journalism Review. He was a former member of the National Press Club, the National Book Critics Circle and the American Society of Journalists and Authors. He is also listed in the Who's Who in America.

He was born in the East Harlem section of Manhattan and raised in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium. He attended DeWitt Clinton High School and earned a B.S. in journalism from New York University using the GI Bill. During WWII he served as a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army Signal Corps and was based for more than two years in the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations. He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Sybil, a daughter, a son, and three grandsons. Another daughter, predeceased him.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Kay Dennison said...

May he be in the arms of a loving God!!! I really respected and liked your dad. He was not only a brilliant man, he was an excellent friend.

My deep and sincere condolences to you and your family.

Friday, December 02, 2011 7:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Ivan said...

I too am an octogenarian, shuffling toward my 85-th birthday this winter. Orig.from Czechoslovakia, landed in Canada in 1950. Some years ago I had frequent e-mail exchanges with Morton. He seemed to be interested in my background and WWII experiences.
Perhaps Morton's records show traces of my background:

Nov 1942-Aug 1944 in concentration /labor camp in Nazi dominated Slovakia. As a 17 year old kid participated in the late 1944 unsuccessful Slovak National Uprising. Hiding in hometown until liberation in March 1945. Younger brother perished in Bergen Belsen. This post entered by a Holocaust survivor. I.M.

Saturday, December 03, 2011 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Ruby Leigh said...

I have enjoyed Mortart's contribution to the blog world. He will be missed by this 27-year-old.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

I just learned that Mort had died.
I followed his blog for some time and grew to look forward to his fascinating life stories.Mort did me the honor of reading and commenting on my blog"Driftwoo Inspiration"
I just celebrating my 82nd birthday in December. We both haved lived long full life,Mort and I. Also my husband of 60 years.

Thank you for posting this information about Mort.

Sending comfort to your Mother, Sybil.

J Hudgins (aka Chancy)
driftwoodinspiration@blogspot.com

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I'm saddened to learn of Mort's passing. I hadn't been blogging as much, so only just now visited here.

My sympathy to the family and especially his dear wife, Sybil. Thank you for letting us blogging friends know and for adding a copy of his obituary.

He kindly responded to an encouraging "get well" email I sent him when he was first recovering from his accident. He indicated using a computer wasn't too satisfactory for various reasons. I often thought of him, but decided it best to not write further until once again he resumed writing here.

I thoroughly enjoyed the stories and other comments he wrote on this blog as I know many others did. His words, good humor, point of view on issues of the day are missed.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:36:00 AM  
Anonymous MIchael Prokop said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Reichek family. As Mort's computer man in Boynton Beach, I was privileged to work with him since the early 2000's. He was an educated, entertaining and fascinating man. May he rest in peace...

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:00:00 PM  
Anonymous bratschegirl said...

I'm so sorry to learn of Mort's passing. I switched computers a few years back and some of my bookmarks didn't make the trip with me, so this is my first visit here in a very long time. I'll miss his cogent observations on the world and the people in it.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Ian David Schaeffer said...

I am so sorry. I just found his blog and he wrote about my dad, who is still around at 92. My condolences.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Fetaki said...

I'm sorry to hear your father were gone. But I believe someday you could meet him again. But even your father gone the memory about him will never fade away.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Rand Rosenbaum - Puchowitzer Society, Inc. said...

We send our sincerest belated condolences to Mort's family and loved ones...his legacy continues within all of you. Our landsman connection had been realized shortly before his accident...will fondly remember him this Yom Kippur and hope someone else continues his blogs with such fraternal warmth.

Monday, September 21, 2015 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Donna Scott said...

I was Morton's dental hygienist when he lived in New Jersey. He was an interesting person whom I always looked forward to seeing. I just came across the piece of paper where he had written the blog address for me. I used to read his posts and decided to visit today.
I will always remember him, he was unforgettable.

Saturday, January 09, 2021 8:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Flux Suggest - Find and Search Blogs
Web Traffic Statistics
Nokia.com Coupon