Saturday, December 09, 2006

What I was doing while history was being made

The 65th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor got me to thinking about what I was doing and where I was when that and other historic landmark events occurred.

December 7, 1941 was a Sunday, and I was at home that afternoon doing what I always told my children not to do. I was a high school student doing my home work and listening to the radio at the same time. I was listening to a broadcast of a New York Giants football game being played at Yankee Stadium. I think their opponents were the Washington Redskins.

When they were doing their homework, my children listened to the kind of music that had yet to be written when I was a boy. But no matter the difference in the programs drawing our attention, I'm sure that both my concentration and my childrens' were adversely affected by the distractions. Looking back 65 years, I don't remember why I even had home work to do for school, because I was scheduled to graduate the following month. The outbreak of war, of course, was to alter the direction of my life over the next several years.

The next historic landmark event that I remember was VE Day, May 8, 1945, when Germany surrended to the Allies, and the war in Europe was over. I was then in the Army serving in India, and our war against Japan was not finished. So our celebration was muted as my buddies and I went about our normal activities.

As my outfit's company clerk, I was handling conventional military office duties. I was also preparing for an expected visitor from the Army's Inspector-General's office who periodically came to check on the efficiency of our operations. But while the war was being fought around the world, the inspectors usually seemed to have an absurd concern about whether I was properly filing Army Regulations and amendments in a loose-leaf binder. The Army often functioned in weird ways.

A far more pressing matter for the men in my outfit, the 903rd Signal Co., developed quickly after VE Day. With the war in Europe now over, the Army planned a stronger focus on the fight against the Japanese in our part of the world, southeast Asia. Japan occupied territory stretching from eastern and southern Burma down the Malay peninsula to Singapore.

There were very few American infantry troops based in India and Burma. To ship combat troops no longer needed in Europe and reinforcements from the U.S. would obviously take time. A plan was therefore drafted to quickly train outfits like ours, which had never been in combat, for an invasion of the western coast of the Malay peninsula. Specifically, we were told that we were to be converted into an amphibious landing force.

Before our training began, however, another historic landmark event occurred. The atomic bomb was dropped, and on August 15, 1945, Japan surrended. There was no longer a need for the 903rd Signal Co. to invade the western coast of the Malay peninsula.

Our reaction to VJ Day was considerably more boisterous than it had been to VE Day. Some one sneaked a bottle of whiskey into our barracks. For the first and only time in my life I became so drunk that I passed out. I do not remember anything about that day.

But when I was finally sober, I was pleasantly startled to discover that, in my role as company clerk, I had prepared the daily morning report that all military units are required to submit each day to higher headquarters. The report discloses the number of men on active duty, sick call, detached duty elsewhere, and other personnel information.

The report is prepared in duplicate. The morning report for the day that I had been too drunk to remember had been properly prepared and submitted. I did not recall having written the report, and there was no one else who was qualified or authorized to prepare it. So I had evidently done my job while in a drunken stupor. I never did celebrate a happy event in that condition again.

A more recent historic landmark event was the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963. When the news was revealed, I was having lunch at the National Press Club at 14th and F Streets in Washington, D.C. About an hour earlier, I had flown into town from New York City, where I had covered the annual convention of the AFL-CIO as a reporter for the Newhouse newspaper chain. A day or two before, President Kennedy had been the featured speaker at the labor federation's convention.

As soon as I heard the news of his assassination, I rushed to the Newhouse News Bureau office, a few blocks north on 14th Street, carrying my luggage with me. When I arrived, the bureau's White House correspondent, who was covering the President's visit in Dallas, was phoning in details of what he had learned so far about the killing. I was quickly assigned to write an article about previous Presidential assassinations. I don't recall whether I did very much with my reporting about the President's speech at the AFL-CIO convention.

The Al-Qaeda attack on New York's World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001 occurred as I was just awakening from a night's sleep. By now I was retired, and sleeping late in the morning had become a feature of my retirement routine. My wife had awakened earlier and was watching television in our bedroom. Still groggy, I could not believe what I was seeing on the TV. I assumed that the plane crashing into the first of the towers was accidental. Within minutes it became clear that there had been no accident and that a new era--a war on terrorism--was about to begin.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stories---on Sept. 11,2001 ,I was flying to N.Y.C,that morning,the airplane landed in the nearest airport to our air location,which was Birmingham (sp ? ) Alabama.All airports were close--all rental cars were gone---I got lucky finally ,and got a ride with someone.Everyone was in shock---but people were nice ,and tried to help,each other.

Saturday, December 09, 2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

You have some amazing memories. Mine start with the death of Pres. Roosevelt when my teacher was crying and telling us to all go home. Of course I remember the others you highlight...but also Jack Ruby with his killing live on TV, Martin Luther King and the one that broke my heart was when Bobby Kennedy was killed.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:03:00 PM  
Anonymous able-mart said...

That day does seem surreal. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Schnier said...

Hello Mort,
I'm "Anonymous" who replied to your post about "Disfunctional Palestinian Leadership. My name is Steve Schnier. We wrote back and forth earlier this year - you may remember me, I write cartoons.

My father-in-law Martin Shaw, who is an avid reader of your blog will be in Boca Raton during the first week of January. He is a great fan of your work. Could he write to you to possibly arrange a meeting over coffee? You can reach me at: or contact Martin directly at

(and make him pay for the coffee)

Best regards,

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 4:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Joared said...

Interesting read about where you were, what you were doing, your reaction to significant days in history. I find myself thinking along those same lines, almost everytime I read or hear reference to something which happened during my lifetime -- trying to recall where I was, what I was doing, what was my reaction, what were my feelings.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:56:00 AM  
Blogger Mortart said...

According to a friend, the location of the December 7, 1941 New York Giants football game was the Polo Grounds in Manhattan and not, as I wrote, the Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. I thank him for the correction.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger Mortart said...

Another correction from my friend: The Giants' opponents on December 7, 1941 were the Brooklyn Dodgers and not the Washington Redskins. But at least the date is correct.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Blog Flux Suggest - Find and Search Blogs
Web Traffic Statistics Coupon