Thursday, September 04, 2008

A glimpse of the past

 
Posted by Picasa


I've been retired for nearly 19 years, and it's sometimes difficult to remember what it was like to hold down a regular job. My memories of what I did as a magazine writer and editor were revived by this clipping from the March 11, 1972 issue of Business Week, where I was employed for 31 years before retiring. The clipping was retrieved by a friend while cleaning out his files.

The clipping is a Publisher's memo that describes how a colleague and I reported and wrote a cover story about the late Michel Fribourg. He was a secretive, Belgian-born American who was CEO of Continental Grain Co., a giant, family-owned, multinational corporation now known as ContiGroup. A competitor described him as "the premier figure in the world trade in food during the 20th Century."

It took a considerable amount of journalistic detective work to prepare the article. Fribourg had carefully avoided publicity about himself and his 200-year old company until we prevailed upon him to allow us to tell his fascinating story of business adventures.

The article was published at a time when federal regulations and the dictates of public relations were inducing many traditionally publicity-shy companies to reveal details of their corporate operations to show that "our company has nothing to hide."

I was the project's editor. The Publisher's memo, which was written by the magazine's managing editor, was overly imaginative about my knowledge of Middle Eastern languages.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia K said...

A great post as always, Mort! You've had such a marvelous career and I suspect you miss it a great deal. Beint retired has its pluses, but I know there are things about my working history that I miss and nothing really takes the place of those.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger Mari Meehan said...

You have to admit blogging keeps that apron string to our careers tied!

Thursday, September 04, 2008 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

You certainly haven't lost your excellent writing skill. Please continue using your gift on your most interesting blog.

I look forward to your posts now that I have found your blog.

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Your gift of writing still prevails. It's something you'll keep forever.

Hope all is well.

Dorothy from grammology
www.grammolgy.com

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Mort, do you think you could please add the "RSS Feed" (stands for "Really Simple Syndication") feature to it so that I (and probably many others, too) could receive it as a Feed whenever you post? I don't want to miss one. "RSS" is that little orange icon that you see on the left hand side of many blogs. Thanks, and thanks for your terrific writing. -Eileen

Monday, September 08, 2008 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Mortart said...

Eileen, I do not know how to add the RSS feature to my blog. I can not find that orange icon on any blog that I read. But thanks for your kind words about my blog.

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Flux Suggest - Find and Search Blogs
Web Traffic Statistics
Nokia.com Coupon